View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Lyons Station Stagecoach Stop


Posted: October 20, 2013 2:00 a.m.
Updated: October 20, 2013 2:00 a.m.

The spot of a historic Lyons Station Stagecoach Stop is identified with marker No. 688 in front of the Eternal Valley Memorial Park, 23287 N. Sierra Highway, near State Highway 14 and San Fernando Road in Newhall.

A small chapel sits in the background where the historic plaque is based.

Designated by the California Office of Historic Preservation, the stagecoach site was the location of a combination store, post office, telegraph office, tavern, and stage depot, according to the state.

It accommodated travelers during the Kern River gold rush in the early 1850s and was also a regular stop for Butterfield and other early California stage lines.

The site of the stagecoach station was purchased by Sanford and Cyrus Lyons in 1855. They owned Lyons Station and the land around it where they farmed and raised sheep.

Despite being called Lyons Station, and being owned by the Lyons brothers, reportedly it was strangely referred to as Harts Station in news accounts of the first trip over the route.

By 1868 at least twenty families lived there and Eternal Valley Memorial Park called their final resting place “The Garden of the Pioneers.”

In his book, “Sixty Years in Southern California” Harris Newmark, a Southern California businessman, writes about his visit to the station in 1856:

“We left Los Angeles early one afternoon, and made our first stop at Lyons’s Station, where we put up for the night. One of the brothers [Sanford], after whom the place was named, prepared supper.

Having to draw some thick blackstrap from a keg, he used a pitcher to catch the treacle; and as the liquid ran very slowly, our sociable host sat down to talk a bit, and soon forgot all about what he had started to do.

The molasses, however, although it ran pretty slowly, ran steadily, and finally, like the mush in the fairy-tale of the enchanted bowl, overflowed the top of the receptacle and spread itself over the dirt floor.

When Lyons had finished his chat, he saw, to his intense chagrin, a new job upon his hands, and one likely to busy him for some time.”

It is said that Lyons Station later came to be called Petroleopolis as Sanford Lyons became involved in the early oil industry. The Los Angeles Petroleum Refinery Company built an oil refinery at Lyons Station, but it was unsuccessful and shut down in 1875.


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...