View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Thirsty bullet thief sought

Deputies investigating theft at Oak Tree Gun Club

Posted: May 1, 2014 3:14 p.m.
Updated: May 1, 2014 3:14 p.m.

A thief who apparently became thirsty after he kicked down the door of a local gun club and stole more than 3,000 bullets may be undone by fingerprints lifted off a refrigerator door, according to documents at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Deputies with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station are looking for a man seen by surveillance camera kicking in the door of the Oak Tree Gun Club on Coltrane Avenue in Newhall, then stealing close to $2,000 worth of ammunition.

At 6:40 p.m. Sunday, a man walked up to the gun club, asked a worker there if he could shoot and was told the club was closed.

When the worker left, the man walked up to the building, kicked down the door and entered the gun club, a deputy wrote in his report.

Twenty-two minutes later, as captured on the surveillance camera footage, the thief emerged from the club with a rifle bag full of stolen bullets, set the “bag down on a table just outside of the door and re-entered the building.”

At 7:15 p.m., two minutes later, the same man is, again, seen emerging from the gun club — this time with a bottle of water.

Items stolen from the gun club include: 2,000 .556-caliber bullets; 250 30-caliber American Eagle bullets; 500 .45 caliber bullets; 500 9-millimeter bullets; a $79 rifle case and one bottle of water valued at $1.

Once outside the building with the loot-filled rifle bag slung on his shoulder, the thief encountered another gun club employee, the deputy wrote.

“We contacted (a second) informant who stated that between 7:30 and 8 p.m., he was leaving the gun club to go get dinner and while leaving the location he saw the suspect with the rifle case on his back, standing at the front gate.

“The (second) informant asked the suspect if he was all right. The suspected told him that he was just waiting for his ride. The informant said the suspect was calm and looked just like any other customer so he continued on his way to get his dinner.  When he returned the suspect was gone.”

After watching the surveillance footage, the deputy requested that fingerprints be taken from prints left on the water refrigerator.
On Twitter @jamesarthurholt


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...