View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Abusing majority rule

Posted: October 17, 2009 8:00 p.m.
Updated: October 18, 2009 4:55 a.m.
Philosophically, Democrats have embraced the protection of minorities. This is something that Carole Lutness (“Majority rules in a democracy,” Oct. 13) seemingly has overlooked. She laments the fact a simple majority in Sacramento’s legislature cannot increase taxes; it takes a two-thirds majority. She advocates a simple majority rule and then claims she speaks for all of us. She doesn’t speak for me.

Who is the minority I’m concerned about? The taxpayers. Not the majority of citizens who pay virtually no taxes, but the top 5 percent of wage earners who pay half of all taxes and the 49 percent who pay virtually all taxes. (Data based on Congressional Budget Office figures)

What Lutness suggests is 51 percent of the electorate can dictate to the remaining 49 percent. This may not be a bad thing in an ethical society, but not in California, not now. Farm subsidies, post office and educational monopolies to protect unions, free medications and taxpayer-funded incentives to retain movie production. It doesn’t matter who pays for all this. Yet who howls when taxes go up? Tax the rich, that’s the ticket! Ethical people might ask how they can expect some stranger to be forced to pay their delinquent house payments. Bottom line: We abuse the majority rule principle.

We have runaway spending now; think what it would be if the poorest 51 percent could spend the money of the other 49 percent.


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...