View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Minus Lewis, Canyon Prevails

Posted: February 14, 2008 11:05 a.m.
Updated: April 16, 2008 5:00 a.m.
TEMECULA - The Canyon boys basketball team knew it would need to get a little something from everyone to get a win without point guard Mark Lewis, who was out with a concussion.

The Cowboys got just that on Wednesday night.
With key plays from three rotating point guards and a trio of players scoring in double digits, Canyon defeated Temecula Valley 78-60 on the road in the wild card round of the CIF Southern Section Division II-AA playoffs.
Cody Anderson led the way with 25 points, while Jonathan Lawson added 19 and Mike Edwards chipped in 15 for Canyon (14-13).
"We wanted to take care of the ball. Erik Gould played phenomenal," said Anderson. "It's all we could ask. That's what we wanted: Solid guard play, take care of the ball, and not too many turnovers."
The Cowboys were even without Anderson for much of the fourth quarter due to foul trouble.
Gould, Ronny Cox, and Tony Haidet were the point guards by committee in the place of Lewis.
The sophomore Gould was pulled up to varsity the third game of Foothill League play, and in addition to scoring six points against the Golden Bears (13-14), helped give the Cowboys some breathing room heading into halftime.
"I thought Erik Gould played one heck of a game," Canyon head coach Chad Phillips said. "He got us going in the second quarter."
He hit a pair of free throws to give Canyon a 20-18 lead that they never lost. With seven seconds left in the half, the ball was inbounded to Gould, who drove the length of the floor and put in a layup as the buzzer sounded to give the Cowboys a 29-22 advantage at the break.
"I just wanted to play solid, not turn the ball over and not hurt us," Gould said.
In the third quarter, it was a battle between Anderson and Temecula Valley guard Siaki Cravens.
The senior Cravens, who signed with Utah on a football scholarship, won the mini-matchup 13-12, but he didn't have much help around him to chip away at Canyon's lead.
"I thought we did a good job neutralizing him in the first half, but the second half was his half," Phillips said.
Cravens scored just six points in the opening half but finished with a game-high 26.
"He's a stud, he plays hard," said Golden Bears head coach Rico Thompson. "We had hoped our other players would step up a bit."
Thompson's team is a shell of what he started with this season, losing three starters and his sixth man this year to injury. Last week in practice, another starter went down with a knee injury.
It left them without much of an answer for the 6-foot-9 Anderson, and by the end of the third, the Cowboys big man and Lawson combined for 21 points to help the Cowboys take a 55-45 advantage into the final frame.
Lawson's steal and dunk with 1:32 left in the third quarter gave Canyon a 51-37 lead, their largest of the game to that point.
"They are a lot bigger than I thought," Thompson said. "Their big guy (Anderson) was very good, and the other guys play around him well. They run good sets and are very disciplined."
In the fourth quarter, the Golden Bears cut the lead to five points after an 8-0 run, which ended with guard Devin Dyer hitting all three of his free throws after being fouled on a 3-point attempt.
Canyon answered with a 10-3 run that put the game out of reach.
The Cowboys face Cajon, the No. 10 seed, in the first round on Friday.


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...