View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Crime Watch: No party, no peace

Man allegedly beats mom, grandpa

Posted: September 2, 2008 2:55 p.m.
Updated: November 3, 2008 5:00 a.m.
A 21-year-old Stevenson Ranch man Monday allegedly choked his mother, battered her with a cell phone, held a knife to her throat to keep his grandfather from entering the fray and punched a deputy.

John Willett allegedly erupted after his mom wouldn't let him have friends over on Labor Day.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies arrested Willett on Monday afternoon and charged him with assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, attempted murder, assault with a caustic substance and assault on a peace officer, said Lt. Brenda Cambra of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's station.

Willet will appear in Santa Clarita Superior Court at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

The incident occurred in the 25500 block of Burns Road in Stevenson Ranch.

Willett wanted to have some friends visit the house Monday but when his mother said no, the decision almost proved deadly for her, Cambra said.

Willett and his mother began to argue and the heated exchange quickly turned violent, Cambra said.

Willett allegedly began striking his mother with his cell phone, threw her to the ground and began choking her.

Willett's grandfather stepped in to save the mother but was held at bay when Willett pressed a knife blade to his mother's throat, Cambra said.

After Willett let his mother go, she and his and grandfather fled to an upstairs bedroom and barricaded themselves in. Willett allegedly crashed through the door and pepper-sprayed the room. He turned his aggression toward his grandfather and allegedly jumped on top of the elderly man. Willett reportedly covered the grandfather's mouth to restrict his breathing, Cambra said.

During the alleged rampage, Willett's father arrived at the house. The alleged suspect and his dad wrestled on the bedroom floor until Willett's father overpowered the alleged suspect and put him in a bear hug, Cambra said.

Deputies arrived at the house at approximately 2:30 p.m. and heard screams. When deputies attempted to separate Willett and his father, Willett punched a deputy, Cambra said.

Willett, his mother and grandfather were taken to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital and treated for minor injuries. Willett was booked late Sunday at Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's station.

He is being held at the Twin Towers correctional Facility in lieu of $1 million bail.


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...