View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Officials ID chase suspect

Stevenson Ranch resident booked on multiple counts after 4-hour pursuit

Posted: March 2, 2011 1:55 a.m.
Updated: March 2, 2011 1:55 a.m.

A man who led officers on a four-hour chase across Los Angeles County before being shot with a Taser and arrested in San Dimas was identified Tuesday as Stevenson Ranch resident Daniel Kurt Wachter.

Wachter, 19, of the 24800 block of Bracken Lane, faces multiple charges stemming from the pursuit, including driving under the influence and evading a peace officer, according to a statement from the California Highway Patrol.

Wachter, who appeared to be wearing a bathrobe during the chase, was allegedly holding a marijuana pipe and a green, leafy substance when he was arrested, the statement said.

The 2009 William S. Hart High School graduate was being held Tuesday at the Inmate Reception Center in Los Angeles on $30,200 bail, according to arrest records.

Monday’s chase began on Interstate 5 north of Castaic, continued through Valencia and covered more than 100 miles on numerous freeways in Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties.

California Highway Patrol officers from the Newhall area station attempted to stop a green Mercury Mystique at 1:39 p.m. for excessive speed.

The driver allegedly ignored officers and continued south until he exited at Valencia Boulevard and headed west.

Upon reaching the cul-de-sac at the end of Valencia Boulevard near West Ranch and Rancho Pico Junior high schools, he made a U-turn, drove back to the I-5 and traveled southbound again, according to previous reports.

Wachter continued driving south on I-5. He navigated several other freeways until he eventually merged on the 57 Freeway.

Wachter took the Covina Boulevard exit and drove east to San Dimas, where he parked his car in a parking lot and started walking east.

Wachter tried to run away from officers and was shot with a Taser, said Terry Lui, a CHP spokesman. Wachter fell to the ground and was arrested.

He was medically cleared at San Dimas Hospital before being booked at county jail, Lui said.

Officers were still writing a report on the chase for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, he said.

It was not known Tuesday how fast Wachter was driving or exactly how many miles the chase spanned.

Liu said he was baffled that anybody would try to run from officers.

“Nobody gets away,” he said. “We don’t understand why people make these decisions to flee the police. It never ends well for the individual.” 


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...