View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Robert Lamoureux: Height limit for tempered glass

Your Home Improvements

Posted: January 14, 2012 1:55 a.m.
Updated: January 14, 2012 1:55 a.m.

Hi Robert,

I want to put windows in the back of our home for a better view. I believe there is a code that says if you’re putting one in too close to a floor you need tempered glass which is more expensive compared to regular glass. Do you happen to know that height requirement? Thank you,

Mark N.


Hi Mark,

The requirement is that anything below 18” requires shatter proof, tempered glass. Anything 18” and above, you can go with standard glass.


Hi Robert,

We would like to install a sign with the name of our association in the front of the property. Are there any codes or laws that we need to follow? Or is this just something we can put in at our discretion. None of us on the board are sure so we thought we’d contact you. Many thanks. Keep up the good work.

Jan B.


Hi Jan,

Yes there are codes. There are going to be set backs and height requirements. These will be determined by the building department in your area. Find out exactly what they want. They may or may not require you to pull permits, but there will be some configurations and aesthetics you will need to abide by.   


Hi Robert,

I’m a new board member and am perhaps overly cautious from a liability and legal standpoint. We have agreed to put in a new play area in a specially gated section of property. What regulations would be involved with the installation of playground equipment involving a slide, swings, cargo netting and a ramp? Thank you,

Emily B.


Hi Emily,

You would need to pull permits for the footings, which would have to be inspected by the city. They will want to see that the footings were dug properly and that the concrete is set. Also, they will check the pinning, if required. 

All of the recommendations will be listed by the manufacturer. That said, the city will want to see that all is installed as they see fit. 

Other items of interest to the city will be the flooring — whether it is the rubber matting, bark, sand, etc. Then, once a year, you’ll have to call out an independent contractor that will certify that the play area is still safe and in good working condition. There are several contractors in California that provide you with these annual certifications. 


Hello Mr. Lamoureux,

Now that winter is just around the corner, are there any maintenance tips or anything you recommend to prepare your home for the rainy season? Thank you,

Michael S.


Hi Michael,

There are a number of things you can do to in preparation of the rains.

You want to make sure all of your gutters as well as your downspouts are thoroughly cleaned. The only way to be sure they are clean is to water test the gutters.

What we recommend doing is to put a garden hose into the downspouts and flush out all of the leaves and debris. A clean downspout is just as important of having the gutters clean. During a rain, on a two story house, if the downspouts are backed up, there is enough water weight there to pull the spouts and the gutters off of your house.

If you’ve made any recent changes or improvements to your property, such as planting trees, adding a planter or flower bed or any concrete work, make sure everything is graded away from the house so you don’t get ponding and pooling. 

Check that all of your area drains are clear. Remove the cover, clean out the leaves, and run a garden hose through them as far as you can. 

You can also check caulking around your windows. If you need to caulk, use single stage urethane as opposed to silicone.

The urethane has got better elasticity and a longer life for just pennies more on the dollar and is available in an array of colors. 

A lot of people have sump pumps. To check the pump turn it off and fill the vault with water.

Plug it in and see if the discharge line is clear and if it is working.

Depending on the size of the vault, you can use a sump pump or a sewage ejector which handles more GPM’s (gallons per minute.) Make sure the vault is cleared of any debris that could interfere with the float and clean the weep hole that could cause airlock.

We have designed a custom, full-color The Signal/Your Home Improvements T-shirt we will give you if we answer your question. The T-shirt is available to be picked up at our office.

Robert Lamoureux has 25 years experience as a general contractor, with separate licenses in electrical and plumbing contacting. He owns IMS Construction Inc. in Valencia. His opinions are his own, and not necessarily those of The Signal. Opinions expressed in this column are not meant to replace the recommendations of a qualified contractor, after that contractor has made a thorough visual inspection. Send your questions to


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...