View Mobile Site

Ask the Expert

Signal Photos


Alan J. Lyon: Get your tax season over and done with


Posted: January 21, 2009 9:34 p.m.
Updated: January 22, 2009 4:55 a.m.
As we enter the fifth season of the year, tax season, getting yourself organized and prepared now will save a lot of agony later.

Here is what you need to do:

* If you run a business, W-2s, and 1099s must be issued by Jan. 31. A 1099 from must be given to all independent contractors to whom you paid more than $600 during the year. Don't forget that your nanny also needs a W-2.

* Watch for tax documents in your mail like your W-2, 1099s, broker statements, bank interest, mortgage interest paid etc. Create a checklist of all your accounts so you know when you have everything. The IRS will confirm wages, interest, stock sales, retirement distributions and other income to the amounts reported on the tax return. Even a small amount of missing bank interest will result in a notice if the IRS knows about it. 

* When the stock brokerage 1099B and year-end statement come, examine it for sales of securities. For each security sold during the year you need to know how much it was purchased for. The purchase information, also called a cost basis statement, is usually included in the year-end summaries, not the 1099B tax form. 

* If you're self-employed, you have a bit more work to get organized. Track down all receipts and documentation for business-related expenses, from the mileage records you kept when using your car for business to the office equipment and supplies you bought to the utility bills you paid for your home-office.

* Did you look for a new job this year? Did you keep your job, but shelled out for work-related items and never got paid back? All of these situations can help reduce your tax bill, as long as you've got the documentation. In the case of job searches, find those receipts for anything related to your hunt - as long as you're looking for work in the same field.

If you kept your current job, but had to pay for some items that your boss didn't reimburse you for - travel expenses, uniforms, union dues, subscriptions - then these can be deducted as miscellaneous items on Schedule A. Again, you'll need the receipts, so go through your paperwork collection carefully.

* Now is an ideal time to review your financial affairs. You have to gather information to prepare your tax return at this time. Why not take one more step and do something positive for your financial well-being? Review your investments, insurance and credit use. Make a savings plan for the coming year.

Don't forget, children who have income might have to file income tax returns. If your child had wage income of $5,000 or more, they need to file a tax return. If the child earned less than $5,000 and the employer withheld tax, file a return to claim a refund.

Avoid common mistakes; the most common being a mathematical error. Mistakes in adding up the number or transferring amounts from one schedule to the next will result in an immediate notice from the IRS.

Using a tax preparer or software will help reduce math errors. Double-check all social security numbers for yourself, spouse and dependents. The tax return must be signed and dated. The IRS will send the tax return back if it is unsigned or the W-2s are not attached.

Need more time to file?

If you cannot complete your tax return by April 15, you can ask for a six-month extension until Oct. 15 by filing IRS form 4868. However, the tax must still be paid by April 15. There is only an extension for filing the paperwork, not the tax.

Alan J. Lyon CPA specializes in tax planning, tax preparation and consulting for individuals and businesses in Santa Clarita. "It's Your Money" appears Thursdays and rotates between a handful of the Santa Clarita Valley's financial professionals. His column represents his own views and not necessarily those of The Signal.


Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.
Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Powered By
Morris Technology
Please wait ...